Performance Director - Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey CircusShow Unit/Traveling Show | Full Time Production & Operations Touring Units — Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus Staff
Feld Entertainment® is the worldwide leader in producing and presenting live touring family entertainment experiences that bring people together and uplift the human spirit. Properties include Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, Disney On Ice, Marvel Universe LIVE!, Jurassic World Live Tour, Kawasaki and Spin Master. Across the brand portfolio, Feld Entertainment has entertained millions of families in more than 75 countries and on six continents. Visit feldentertainment.com for more information.
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated or be qualified for a medical or religious exemption. Proof of vaccination is required and may be submitted via the Company’s secure website. Florida employees may request exemption pursuant to FL House Bill No. 1-B. Fully vaccinated is defined as 14 days after the second dose of a two dose vaccine or 14 days after the single dose of a one dose vaccine.
Please note that all Mitigation Guidelines for touring employees remain in effect as do any applicable venue, local, state, and/or international requirements, rules, regulations, and/or laws in territories outside of Florida.)
Provide leadership and artistic direction for circus show unit through the monitoring and guidance of performers and crew in the performance both artistically and technically and maintaining the integrity of the production on a daily basis.Essential Functions
- Responsible for maintaining and ensuring the integrity, consistency, proper functioning and safety of the show’s performers and technical and creative elements.
- Oversees the quality and consistency of the Show’s creative and technical production elements including, but not limited to, energy level, consistency of acts and production number, quality of sound and lights through observing each show from a customer’s perspective, holding and running brush-up rehearsals.
- Reviews total performance and production aesthetics including cues for set, lights, sound, prop movement, music and act routines for each show.
- Providers leadership and coordination of overall production aspects, character impression and appearance of the show.
- Responsible for the management and training of the Associate Performance Director and Production Line Captain(s).
- Coordinates with the Director of Casting & Performance on any desire of an act/performer for a change, addition or deletion to an act’s routine or in any desire for a Production change.
- Consults with Director of Casting & Performance concerning production plans.
- Responsible for risk control compliance.
- As Direct Supervisor to Performers, responsible to coach, mentor and provide clear expectations of ‘on stage’ performance as well as ‘off stage’ professional conduct. Responsible for the mediation of work-related disputes between performers, crew and staff and addressing performer disciplinary problems to uphold and maintain professional standards of conduct, appearance and workmanship of personnel in their respective roles.
- Responsible for coordinating and delegating immediate reaction when complications arise during a performance. Calls the cues when warranted by particular production aesthetics.
- Responsible for organizing and disseminating weekly schedules which includes: all rehearsal and practice times, PR needs, warm up, act practice, coaching and development needs.
- Responsible for the development, rehearsal and management of all performance contingency plans for stage equipment, properties and performers.
- Responsible for conducting rehearsals and preparing understudies for high quality performance, as well as offer guidance and continuously working on the development of the talent.
- Responsible for completing and submitting performance reports after each performance noting both technical and performance issues, absentees, new hires and/or dismissals, start and end times of each performance and feedback on condition of props, costumes and appearance of performers and crew.
- Conducts nightly production meeting with feedback and critiques. Responsible for communicating all technical and artistic issues in a productive way to enhance the quality of each performance.
- Sits in seats 75% of the time, the remaining 25% of the time, alternating between interacting with the Stage Manager and various Technical Department Supervisors.
- Compiles and maintains video library, cue sheets, staging charts, etc. throughout the tour to keep the show’s production bible current.
- Conducting (in conjunction with Unit Staff and Circus Creative Dept.) bi-annual performance appraisals for all Performers.
- Oversight of all Public Relations, Media and Promotional events on the touring show. Contribute as necessary to Unit Public Relations & Promotional activities to ensure that they are in compliance with current "Feld Entertainment, Inc.” guidelines.
- Responsible for assisting Directors, Choreographer and other Creative Team Members during rehearsal as well as maintain communication with Manager and Production Coordinator in order to effectively coordinate the rehearsal period.
- Responsible for striving to create a positive and energetic work environment.
- Responsible for following the rules, regulations and guidelines set forth by “Feld Entertainment’ as they pertain to the Ice, Stage & Floor Shows.
- Responsible for own professional standards of conduct, appearance and work performance.
- All other job-related duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree or three to five years related experience or equivalent combination of training, education and/or experience.
- Extensive working knowledge and understanding of circus/theatrical operations, show vernacular and production techniques.
- Background in circus, theatre, dance, music or entertainment industry necessary.
- Must have a valid Passport.
- Willing and able to travel 100% of the time.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills and experience working with diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate aesthetic qualities associated with show production.
- Ability to read, and interpret documents such as contracts, scripts, as well as to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to communicate on various organizational levels with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram and physical example.
- Ability to work with a variety of computer programs.
Feld Entertainment is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for our employees, customers, and partners worldwide. We celebrate diversity and encourage our profoundly talented workforce to express themselves proudly. Our successful business model requires different perspectives and voices so that we can create the incredible live shows we put on. Come join us and help us light up the world.